Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Little Bit of Lightroom Magic

I've been feeling like my pictures are a bit drab. They're flat and "pop"-less. So, I played in Lightroom with this one. What do you guys think? It's hard to make brown eyes pop, but I think I've succeeded. He melts my heart.

Before


After

Or how about this?

9 Comment(s):

Anonymous February 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM  

Liz,
looks good, but maybe a little too pale. I do like the eyes though.

Try just bumping the saturation and contrast and then increase the brightness. That should get more color all over, darken the eyes and leave everything looking bright but not washed out. But I don't know exactly what you did, maybe that is what you did?!

I love Lightroom and the things you can do there!! so much at your fingertips.

Liz February 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

Good idea, Evelyn! I think I'll go try that right now. I'm pretty sure I was playing with the saturation, contrast, and brightness, but maybe I went a little too bright or too contrasty. :) What do you think of the last one? Dan doesn't like all the artistic stuff I like to do in Photoshop. He likes a picture to look real rather than artistic. He's all for the original. I think it's flat.

I would love to have you take pictures of our family when you come! That would be awesome. We should go hang out with our cameras somewhere and you can teach me more...I'm sure that's just why you're coming on vacation to San Diego, isn't it?! :) Definitely call me when you're in town.

Anonymous February 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM  

I like the last one a little better, but it has a green color cast which is easy to fix with the tint slider. The eyes are still bright, but he isn't washed out. My guess is you went a little too far with the contrast on the first.

I like artsy and real, it just depends on what you like! People will buy what you produce, be it what it is. I personally go with real and bold color, mainly because I don't have hours of time to edit all my pictures and play around with them. If I was Anne Geddes on the other hand and getting paid millions to do art, that's a different story! hmmm

But yes, we will take pictures when I'm out there!

Liz February 6, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

Ha, that's funny. I did the green and yellow color casting on purpose. :) Like I said, I lean to the artsy, not-so-real side. :) How funny. Oh my, what I wouldn't give to know Lightroom and Photoshop like the back of my hand. I envy the people who can pop in there, create a work of art, and deliver within a few minutes. I'll probably settle down to something akin to what you do for lack of time also. Artsy is more fickle and time-consuming. But, fun nonetheless. :)

Megan February 7, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

ooo! cool! you're so creative. I'm excited to pick your brain!

Ann-Marie Photography February 7, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

Hi, this is ann marie wells from way back in the good ol' BYU days. I got your blog from Brookes, whom I got from elena...anywho I also do photography and like your pictures. I was wondering what camera you have? Well good luck with the picture thing you have a good eye.

Lisa/Scott February 7, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

The middle one is cool because it definitely makes the eyes pop...which is what you were trying to do in the first place. The last one is good too, just softer. It depends on the look you were going for, but like always, you take great pictures. (:

Ann-Marie Photography February 8, 2008 at 5:07 AM  

Yes, Amy is my cousin and lived down the hall from us when we lived in regency 63. So she was in our ward too. Yes I married Logan...I guess I couldn't get away. I shoot with a rebel xti. And just the standard lense ( I really want a marco or a fixed 2.1) but all in good time. We are short on funds since dental school and rent in michigan take us for all we have! But I do what I can with what I have. What lense do you use. I really like you can get a shallow depth of field. And I really like a lot of your angles. Anyway any tips you have would be helpful. And where do you find the time! I feel like between two boys, I just don't have the time to run all the pictures through photoshop and what not. I'm in awe!

lindsey. February 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

For what its worth, I love the original just as it is! It is great that you are developing your own style of photography and learning what you like in a photograph. I am finding that I make the same edits to my photos and, therefore, must be forming my own style too. Are you loving your camera?!

Post a Comment

Important

Please remember that not all computer screens are created equal. Rest assured that your pictures will be of the highest quality with perfect color blending courtesy of my professionally calibrated computer screen.

Create

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." -Ernst Haas

About This Blog

liz@lizziejanephotography.com

Recent Comments

Share Me

Photobucket

Followers