Sunday, February 21, 2010

Finding My Place

Yesterday, my husband and I cashed in on some massage coupons I came by a while back.  We headed down to Pacific Beach to be lathered up with massage oils then kneaded out by experienced hands.  Unfortunately, due to a misentry on the part of my scheduler, I did not get my massage.  (It was not properly noted that I am pregnant and in need of pregnancy massage).  Instead, I spent an hour browsing a photo magazine in the lobby while listening to the faint ambiance music escaping from my husband's session.

*Sigh* *Pout*

Truth be told, even without the massage, the relaxing, quiet environment was not wasted on this pregnant, bedraggled mother of two.  :D  And, wonderfully, through my magazine immersion, I made quite an enlightening discovery: I love photojournalism.  Reading about the dangerous, inspiring, moving, and enlightening photographic journies of various decorated photojournalists stirred something in me.  Oh how I would love to embark on a meaningful photography mission; one that might really make a difference to someone, really inspire someone!  Don't get me wrong, I still love taking pictures of kids.  In fact, they are some of my favorite subjects.  But I've never, ever loved having to stage photos like family shots.  I much, much, much prefer to be in the corner, the background, snapping shots as they happen naturally, in real life and real time, uninhibited by structure and expectation.  I love to capture people as they really are, as they share their true selves.  I am delighted when I can preserve character and personality traits as they are manifested without solicitation.

An example from my own repertoire comes in the form of the following picture accompanied by a comment shared by the subject's grandma:

Photobucket
{Liz...Morris and I loved looking at these pictures. Great job. [This] picture is a "look" that Travis gave me from the time he was a little boy ..into adulthood, and you captured it in Graham. Bravo!!}

Seriously, what could be better than tying generations together through the capture of spontaneous, inherited expression?  This is what makes my job worth it.  This is what makes me smile.  Put a family in a natural setting with lots of natural light, make them comfortable and set them at ease, then snap away as they interact with one another naturally, happily, without direction or interference from me.  Ahhhh.  :D

But for a better example of what I'm talking about, take a look at photographer Pam Spaulding.  She was given permission to photograph one year in the life of brand new parents with their newborn son, David.  That assignment turned into 30 years of her life spent photographing this one family, culminating in an impressive work entitled An American Family: Three Decades with the McGarveys.  She caught everything on film - new life, milestones, challenges, elderly care, engagements, etc.  Everything.  In the magazine I was reading, they showed pictures of a spritely grandma holding her new grandbaby, Sara.  Then right below that there was a picture of a much older grandma, suffering from Alzheimers, with a grown-up, 20-something Sara sitting on her lap.  The progression of life is amazing.  And while Pam made excellent friends with the family, she did an exceptional job avoiding interrupting the natural evolution of their day-to-day family life.  What an opportunity!

Now, I have to make exception here.  While I love the thought of traveling the world to photograph various cultures or take pictures of exceptional suffering that lacks representation and awareness, I am not at all interested in photographing violence.  I admire those photographers who do put themselves in extreme danger to photograph war and civil unrest, but I would love to uplift, not depress.  I would love to bring the world images of light and happiness, even in the most extreme, unjust, and depressing of environments or circumstances.  I would love to raise awareness and effect change where change is necessary.

What photography projects would you pursue with your camera if you had unlimited funds and time?  (Which, just to be perfectly clear, I do not have.  :D).

2 Comment(s):

Freckles February 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

I'm with ya. My style is just that, follow and watch for the right moment. I tell clients just to pretend I'm not there, but I am always asked to take one posed with everyone looking at the camera. blah, that bores me too. I am actually on my own adventure in shooting right now, too. I have some awesome shoots planned when the sun comes out and green things re-appear.
Here's the main problem, I have been shooting what my clients want me to shoot, and displaying those shots, thus attracting more people wanting boring, lifeless pictures. So, this summer: a total re-vamp on most of my galleries! I am going to shoot only for my self, going to display the pictures that make me feel something and then close my eyes and hope for the best!
Good luck on your style path, too. It takes a while to figure out what you're passionate about shooting, and even harder to keep shooting it the way you want to (trust me). It's also ok to change your style/subject as you improve and grow as an artist!
Sorry that was long

Liz March 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

Oh Evelyn! I'll take your long comments any day! :D I can't wait to see your revamped website and blog. So exciting! Isn't it nice to not only figure out where your talent fits in, but to bite the bullet and make it happen?!

Post a Comment

Important

Please remember that not all computer screens are created equal. Rest assured that your pictures will be of the highest quality with perfect color blending courtesy of my professionally calibrated computer screen.

Create

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." -Ernst Haas

About This Blog

liz@lizziejanephotography.com

Recent Comments

Share Me

Photobucket

Followers